Programs to convert videos for free
Looking for gods programs to convert videos that they are easy to use and possibly even free? I would say then that the solutions you find reported below may be for you.
HandBrake (Windows / macOS / Linux)
HandBrake is an excellent program, now historical, thanks to which it is possible to carry out video conversion operations in a very simple way. If you have never heard of it, I inform you that it is a free software, open source and compatible with Windows, macOS and Linux, which allows you to convert all major video file formats, create MKV or MP4 movies compatible with the most popular devices and to “rip” DVD and Blu-Ray.
To download it to your computer, go to its website and click on the button Download HandBrake xxx. Once downloaded, if you are using Windows, april il .exe file obtained and, in the window that is shown to you on the desktop, click on the buttons Yes e Next (twice in a row). Next, click on the button install e poi quello Finish, to complete the setup. At this point, recall the program by clicking on the relevant one collegamento which was added to the desktop.
Stai using MacOSInstead, open the package .dmg just downloaded and drag theprogram icon in the folder Applications from the Mac. Next, facci click destro sopra, select la voce apri click on the menu and click on the button apri m in the window that appears on the screen, in order to open the application going to circumvent the limitations imposed by Apple on applications from non-certified developers (an operation that must be performed only at the first start).
Now that, regardless of the operating system used, you see the HandBrake window on the screen, drag the movie of your interest to it. Alternatively, select it via the menu on the right. If you don't see any menus, click the button Open Source placed at the top left, in such a way as to make it appear.
Then expand the menu for choosing presets by clicking on the button Presets at the top right and select one of the profiles conversion available, depending on what your needs and preferences are.
If the default settings for the profile you have selected are not to your liking, you can modify them yourself, acting on the items and menus that you find in the tabs in the center of the window, acting on the output format, on the audio, on the resolution of the video etc.
Finally, specify the location where you want to save the output file by clicking the button KATEGORIEN at the bottom right, and start the conversion procedure by pressing the button Start Encode placed on top.
Adapter (Windows / macOS)
Another among the video converting programs you can consider relying on is Adapter. In case you have never heard of it, I inform you that it is a software that allows you to convert videos (and not only) into various formats compatible with a large number of devices, mobile and not, and that makes available to users numerous options to choose from to better act on their files. It is available for both Windows and macOS and is at no cost.
To download it to your computer, go to its website and click on the button Download Adapter that you find at the top of the page. Download completed if you are using Windows, april il .exe file obtained and, in the window you see appear on the screen, click on the button Yes. Then press on the buttons OK e Next, select the voice I accept the agreement and click the button again Next (six times in a row). Finally, press the buttons install e Finish.
Stai using MacOSInstead, open the package .dmg ottenuto, trascina l 'program icon in the folder Applications computer, right-click on it and select the item apri from the menu that appears. Then press the button apri present in the window that appears on the screen, in order to start Adapter going to circumvent the limitations desired by Apple for non-certified developers (an operation that must be carried out only at the first start).
Keep in mind that, both during the installation procedure of the program on Windows and on macOS, you may be offered to download and install FFMPEG (which is essential for the proper functioning of the program) e VLC (it is a famous multimedia player that I told you about in depth in my guide on the subject).
Now that regardless of the operating system you are using, you see the Adapter main window on your screen, drag the video you want to convert onto it. Alternatively, you can select it "manually" by clicking the button KATEGORIEN.
Then click on the drop-down menu Video located at the bottom and choose from the latter the output format you are interested in, or the device on which you intend to play the video after conversion.
If the default settings for the selected conversion profile do not satisfy you, you can also change them, using the right sidebar (if it should not be visible, you can recall it by pressing the button with the ruota d'ingranaggio at the bottom), acting on bitrate, resolution, etc.
Finally, start the conversion procedure by pressing the button Convert which is located at the bottom. By default, the converted videos will be saved in the same location as the source files. To change this behavior, you can change the section Directory of the program settings, which you can access as I explained earlier.
Other programs to convert videos for free
None of the programs to convert videos that I indicated in the previous lines has convinced you in a particular way and would you like to know if I can suggest some alternatives? Of course yes, God forbid. In fact, below you will find a list of additional software that you can consider using to convert your movies.
- Mobile Media Converter (Windows / macOS / Linux) - it is a free and cross-platform software to convert video (and audio) files that supports the most popular formats. It is very easy to use and also requires no installation on Windows.
- Video to Video Converter (Windows) - free, very fast software that allows you to convert all major video file formats in an incredibly simple way. Note that it is specific for Windows and can be used without having to go through the installation procedure.
- Smart Converter (macOS) - application for Mac, free and highly intuitive, which allows you to perform video conversion operations, supporting all major formats.
Programs to convert videos online
If the programs that I have proposed have not been able to attract your attention, since you prefer to use something that does not have to be installed on your computer, you could try the online services that you find reported below.
123apps Video Converter
Il 123apps Video Converter is a service that can be used directly from the browser window, without having to install absolutely anything on the PC, through which you can convert your video files (as well as audio files) in all the most popular formats. Note that it does not require registration and the maximum weight allowed for each uploaded item is 2 GB.
To use it, visit its home page, click the button Open file and select the video on your computer in relation to which you are interested in going to act. Alternatively, you can also download the video to convert from your Google Drive account, from Dropbox or by indicating theURLby clicking on the appropriate buttons.
Once the upload procedure is complete, select the output format you prefer from the card Video, specify the resolution of your interest from the drop-down menu Resolution (if you have no special needs, you can leave the option selected Same as the input) and, if you deem it necessary, make further changes to the characteristics of the final file by clicking on the button Settings adjacent.
To start the conversion procedure, click on the button Converted. Once the process is complete, download the returned file by selecting the link Download or the items related to Google Drive o dropbox.
Other programs to convert video online
Are you looking for other programs to convert videos usable via the Web? I'll settle you immediately. In the list below you will find other online services that you can consider relying on.
- Convertio - it is an online service that allows you to convert practically any kind of file, including videos, supporting all popular formats. It is very efficient and it is also fast enough, but you have to bear in mind that it does not allow you to upload files with a weight greater than 100 MB. To get around this limit and to unlock other extra features, you can possibly subscribe to a paid subscription (with prices starting at $ 9,99 / month).
- Media.io - another online converter, at no cost and incredibly simple to use, which allows you to convert to and from all major video file formats. Note that it also allows multiple files in series.
- CloudConvert - renowned file converter, through which you can transform videos, but also audio files, Office documents, etc. from one format to another. There is no upload limit, but it can be used for up to 10 minutes per day and has other limitations as well. To get around them, you need to register and possibly subscribe to one of the subscription plans (with prices starting from 8,54 euros / month).
Video converting app
You don't have a computer close at hand and would therefore like me to suggest some app to convert video from smartphone or tablet? I'll settle you immediately. Below, you will find a list of those that, in my opinion, represent the best solutions of this type.
- Media converter (Android) - free app specific for Android devices, which allows you to convert video files into any format, also offering the possibility to set the bitrate, resolution and audio sampling rate of the final file.
- Video Format Factory (Android) - another app intended for Android-based devices that allows you to convert video and audio files into many different formats and that allows you to change the available conversion profiles at will. It is free, but offers in-app purchases (at a cost of 4,29 euros) to unlock all functions.
- Media converter (iOS / iPadOS) - specific application for iPhone and iPad with which you can convert video and audio files into all the most popular formats. It's free, but offers in-app purchases (at a cost of € 1,09) to remove ads and unlock other additional features.
- The Video Converter (iOS / iPadOS) - another free app for iPhone and iPad that is incredibly simple to use. It allows you to convert all major video file formats, even if in order to work on some of them you need to unlock the special pass through in-app purchases (at a cost of € 4,49).