Turning off the automatic downloading of images, videos, and audio files on WhatsApp helps prevent storage space issues over time. By default, media is downloaded automatically when the user is connected to WiFi. In 4G/5G, this is the case for photos only. If you want to disable everything, regardless of connection type, here's how.
WhatsApp has become an essential messaging application for staying in touch with friends, relatives and close or distant acquaintances. A significant number of files are exchanged daily via the application, especially for users registered in several discussion forums. These famous groups through which tens or even hundreds of beautiful photos, videos and other large files.
This can cause two types of problems: a considerable impact on the data envelope and, in the long run, concerns about insufficient storage space. This ends up happening even with a comfortable 256 GB memory.
How to turn off automatic downloading of images on WhatsApp
On Whatsapp, disable image download is easily done in a few steps:
- Open WhatsApp and tap the three vertical dots in the upper right corner and then tap Parameters
- Select Storage data usage in the list of options
- Under the section Media auto download, choose a connection mode from the three listed: mobile data, Wi-Fi or roaming
- You have different file types listed: Photos, Audio, Videos, and Documents. Deselect each of them to disable auto-download for the corresponding option
- Repeat the process for other connection modes, depending on the media types for which you want to disable or keep automatic downloading.
Finally, be aware that for voice messages, it is not possible to deactivate their automatic download on WhatsApp. The voice notes will therefore be automatically retrieved if you are connected. It should also be noted that it is possible to compress data streams during voice or video calls, the aim being to reduce the amount of data used when you communicate in 4G/5G.
To enable compression, go to Settings > Storage Data Usage. Toggle the switch next to the option Use less data for calls.
The editorial advises you:
- WhatsApp: how to download the latest version APK
- How to migrate from WhatsApp to Signal: the complete guide