A particularly fun category of games is that of multiplayer games and while most of them allow you to challenge online players all over the world, there are also some that can also be configured to play online with friends, creating the so-called LANs. Party. I refer to those games where you can play on the LAN, with one-on-one or all-against-all challenges. Also, since many homes are equipped with Wi-Fi, and since most people take their laptops wherever they go, there are plenty of ways you can use that network to host a private match. (see also how to create a computer LAN at home or in the office).
These games also become opportunities to play with family, friends or, why not, work colleagues with whom you are side by side during the long days in the office.
As seen in another article, then there are programs to create a VPN to play online simulating a LAN or you can use the Steam program and activate the function Remote play together to play Steam games with friends as if they were using the same computer.
In this list of free games we see then the most beautiful ones to download immediately for any occasion in which you can play with other friends, on the LAN or, on some occasions, in multiplayer on public servers.
1) Xonotic is one of the best free (open source) and multiplayer shooter games that can be downloaded for Windows PC, Linux and Mac, similar to Quake, with online matches against other players or even matches against friends in Lan Party
2) Wolfestein Enemy Territory is a first-person shooter game completely free to download and play that, in addition to being open-source, allows you to play on a Wi-Fi or Ethernet LAN with other people, in private. You can then fight another player until either player runs out of health, in the whole unique atmosphere of the dystopian world of Wolfestein.
3) Team Fortress 2 is one of the funniest multiplayer games ever, which has since inspired blockbuster titles like Overwatch and Fortnite. With its funny characters and third-person shooter quick games, it is also possible to organize online games with friends.
4) OpenTTD is the best of transport simulation games, with endless creation possibilities and a multiplayer mode to play with other people.
5) Starcraft is an old-fashioned real time strategy game where you build your empire and wage star war against your enemies. 4
6) America's Army is a not very recent, free, very tactical and realistic war shooter. It is played in multiplayer mode and there is also the possibility of creating LAN Parties, ie games on the LAN network.
7) Battle for Wesnoth is a fantasy themed turn-based strategic warfare game, where it is possible to play online in multiplayer mode and also in a local network.
8) Alien Swarm is another very successful and long-standing shooter with the Steam engine and the ability to play up to 4 people as a team against other teams in a multiplayer first-person battle.
9) The most popular type of games to be played on the LAN are certainly first person shooters with first person view.
Among the best shooter games to play online and in multiplayer mode that I had mentioned in the past, I recommend here Warsaw for its more cartoonish graphics suitable for everyone, even for children. When fired, the rifle strikes with electricity and not bullets. You can immediately and easily create your own local server to which other players on the net can join for a challenge where you have to kill the opponent by shooting at him, without being hit by his rifle. The game to be free-for-all, a duel or whatever.
10 ) Unreal Tournament, is one of the best multiplayer first person shooters, a great classic still very played.
11 ) TrackMania Nations forever it has always been one of my favorite games, still today one of the best free and multiplayer car games available for pc. You can have a race on the net by creating your own server and challenging friends with no limits on the number, you can also play in 20 all together.
12 ) Paladins is one of the best free multiplayer shooter games ever in 2020, with beautiful graphics and the ability to host private matches with friends.
13 ) Brawlhalla is a really fun game, with cartoon graphics and two-dimensional side scrolling views. You can play multiplayer online and even with a friend on the same computer.
14) Another noteworthy shooter game for making network and multiplayer matches against other players is warrock, a free game similar to the famous Steam Counter Strike, a team shooter with multiplayer online matches.
15 ) WarZone 2100 is a game that I have already written by listing the three best strategic war games where you can command armies. You can organize a game on the net even at university or in the office, against friends and colleagues for games where the smartest of generals wins.
16) If the war game were too demanding, maybe the good old man might be enough Risks also downloadable in in your languagen in the version for PC Lux Deluxe. The game must be installed in 1 second on the computers of players who will be able to have a computerized version of the classic and famous board game Risiko. The first time you start the game, one person can start the server and other players can join it. Obviously it is a turn-based game whose game can also last a couple of hours, with dice rolls, tanks to move, attacks on neighbors up to conquer the whole world. The game automatically manages the roll of the dice and the calculation of the armies gained or lost.
On another page there are links to download other board games such as Risk and Monopoly.
17) Playing poker in the Texas Holdem sport mode is possible by downloading the game PokerTH available for Windows, Linux and Mac. Playing this game is like sitting around a huge pool table with friends and starting a game of chips. One of the players can host the match on the network and configure the game options, including the number of players, how much money each player starts with and other details. The graphics are pretty decent, especially when you consider that the game is free and, of course, play money. Fun is guaranteed and the poker game can be played from office computers with bluffs and blinds.
Other card games such as Uno, Scopa and Burraco to be played online on the computer are reported on another page.
18 ) Armagetron, as already reported, is one of the best Tron clones to download for free for Windows, Linux and Mac PCs. Since you play with the keyboard and the game is very light, you can play online even with old and poor computers, engaging and fun team or one-on-one challenges. The pace of this game really makes your heart beat and setting up a multiplayer match is a breeze. You can also split the screen up to four views to see all four players. the winner is whoever resists the longest and does not crash into the opponent's wake.
19) For a one-on-one match even on the same computer let's see Wormux the best clone of the famous Worms, where players command armed worms that shoot from right to left and left to right. You shoot in turns, deciding on the shooting trajectory and then seeing what damage it does to the opponent.
20 ) Online Pong is played against a friend, a two-player game, via the internet, with Google's Cube Slam game.
20 free games to play online games and play against friends