The iPhone allows you to recover deleted messages and other SMS by restoring a backup prior to deletion. It is also possible to browse backups with iCloud or third-party software and recover only the data you want. We show you how to do it.
Did you know ? It is entirely possible to recover deleted messages from your iPhone. There are two solutions: it is possible to restore a backup using iCloud, or with third-party software. Of course you will need have performed an upstream backup, otherwise the restoration will not be possible. Whatever happens, it is strongly recommended that you regularly back up your iPhone so that you can access a recent version of your data in the event of a problem requiring a restore.
How to recover deleted messages on iPhone without erasing its data?
Here is how to recover your messages on iphone with the simplest solution, iCloud. This solution is a trick that allows you not to have to completely erase your iPhone. It requires a previous backup of your messages on iCloud. It may also not work.
- Go to the Settings app on your device;
- Select your name, located at the very top, under the search bar (or log in to your iCloud account if necessary);
- Select iCloud;
- If the Messages button is inactive, move it to the right, if active, remove it and then put it back. If they had been saved in the past, your messages should reappear.
Your deleted messages should be back in the app Messages from your iPhone. If that didn't work, there is another solution. The latter takes longer to set up and need to restore your iPhone.
How to Recover Deleted Messages on iPhone (Requires Erasing Data)
CAUTION, all iPhone data will be erased. Make sure your iPhone is backed up to iCloud in Settings > your first and last name > iCloud > iCloud Backup. If you have an iCloud backup and Messages is indeed part of your backup, you can continue with this tutorial.
- Go back to the top of the Settings app;
- Go to General then Reset;
- Select Erase All Content and Settings, then Erase Now.
The contents of your iPhone will be erased. Wait for it to turn back on. The Hello screen should then appear. Note that if you have already set up this device, you will need to erase its contents before you can restore from a backup. Follow the on-screen setup instructions to the Apps & Data screen, then tap Restore from iCloud.
- Sign in to iCloud using your Apple ID;
- Choose a backup. View the date and size of each backup and select the most appropriate:
- A progress bar appears. Wait until the end of the operation, making sure to stay connected. Depending on the size of the backup and the speed of the network, the operation can take from a few minutes to an hour.
Recover your deleted messages with PhoneRescue
This method allows you to extract your deleted messages from your last iPhone backup, without having to say goodbye to all the data created since. PhoneRescue is third-party software which can also directly search your iPhone for the recently deleted data you want.
- In iTunes, press the keys Ctrl + B to display the menu bar
- Go to Help > About iTunes
- Go to iTunes > About iTunes
- In both cases, the iTunes version is the first thing that scrolls in the window that opens.
- Download a version of PhoneRescue that matches your operating system and version of iTunes and install it. In mac, open the file .dmg and drag PhoneRescue to your folder Applications
- Launch PhoneRescue
- If the loss of your message(s) is very recent, choose Recover from iPhone
- Check only the data you want to recover and then click Scanner
- A few minutes later, you should see something similar to this screenshot:
- Do not click Retrieve, the option is not available if you have not purchased a license (not given, by the way…). But instead double-click on Messages.
To read also: how to share your iphone internet connection
You should now be able to navigate through your messages as well as recently deleted ones directly from your computer.
The editorial advises you:
- iPhone: How to Recover Deleted Photos?
- How to recover deleted messages on WhatsApp?
- How to transfer iCloud photos and videos to Google Photos?