In the end, you too "fell for it". You have bought a smartphone, you have installed WhatsApp and now you would like a hand to make the most of this famous app, which no one seems to be able to do without. What to tell you? I really think you've come to the right place at the right time.
With today's guide, in fact, I'll explain how to set up WhatsApp on all major operating systems (Android, iOS and Windows Phone) and I'll let you find out how to make the most of the potential of this application. I assure you it's not difficult, you just have to get in a good mood and dedicate some of your time to me. I cannot guarantee that you will immediately become an expert on the subject, but for sure you will learn all the rudiments necessary to communicate with your friends and not to find yourself in difficulty if your smartphone starts ringing (or vibrating) continuously, due to notifications.
Come on, let's get to the heart of the guide right away. At the beginning we will see how to configure WhatsApp after its installation on the phone, after which we will take care of notifications, privacy settings, changing our profile, managing chats and much more. Happy reading and have fun!
Initial setup of WhatsApp
Have you just downloaded WhatsApp on your smartphone and want help setting up the application? No problem, follow the instructions I am about to give you and you will succeed in no time at all.
First, start WhatsApp and press the button Accetta and continue to accept the conditions of use of the application. Then type yours cellphone number in the appropriate text field, "tap" the button OK twice in a row and wait for the number to be verified. For the operation to be successful, the phone must be connected to the telephone network (so there must be "field"). If the verification is not done automatically, type "manually" the verification code of WhatsApp in the appropriate text field. If, on the other hand, no code arrives, press the button Call me and wait for a call in which your verification code will be dictated to you (by an automated service).
Once the number has been verified, set up your WhatsApp account by choosing the name and photo you want to use in the application. You can choose a photo already in your phone roll or take one in real time using your phone's camera.
Finally, press the buttons Following e NEXT and you will find yourself in front of the main WhatsApp screen. If you are using an iPhone and are asked to access the address book data, accept. This way all your contacts using WhatsApp will be automatically added to the application's address book.
If any passage of the guide is not clear enough to you, try to consult my tutorials on how to install WhatsApp on Android, iPhone and Windows Phone in which I have dealt with the topic in more depth.
Management of notifications
One of the first problems that WhatsApp users face is that of too insistent notifications: the arrival of new messages follows at an incessant pace and the phone rings (or vibrates) continuously. How to stop this dripping? Let's find out right away together.
- Turn off notifications for a person or group - if you want to disable WhatsApp notifications for a single person or a single WhatsApp group (leaving them active for all the others), select the tab Chat of the application, presses on the name of the person or group to "silence" and select the title of the conversation, which is located at the top of the screen (in the center). At this point, "tap" on the option silent, choose whether to turn off notifications for 8 hours, 1 weeks o Everlasting and remove the check mark from the item Show notification. In case of second thoughts, to reactivate notifications for the previously "silenced" user or group, select the option again silent of WhatsApp and move the lever relative to the latter to OFF.
- Disable all WhatsApp notifications - do you want to completely disable WhatsApp notifications? In this case you have to follow a different procedure depending on the operating system installed on your smartphone.
- A terminal was used Android, pigia sul pulsating (...) che si trova in alto a destra e seleciona la voce Settings from the menu that opens. Then "tap" on the icon related to Notifications, select the voice Notification tone from the menu message notifications and choose the option first Media Storage and then None from the box that opens. Then repeat the operation for the group notifications and call notifications and turn off vibrations by selecting the option Off from the menu Vibration. By doing this, WhatsApp notifications will continue to be active but you will not hear any vibrations or sounds when they arrive. If you want to completely disable notifications, go to the menu instead Settings> Sound & Notifications> App Notifications di Android, select the icon di WhatsApp and move the lever relative to the option to ON Block.
- If you use a iPhone, go to the card Settings of WhatsApp and select the item Notifications in the latter. Therefore, it is on the voice Sounds for messages, groups and calls and select the option Nobody from the screen that opens. In this way, WhatsApp notifications will continue to be active but you will not hear their sounds. To disable them completely, go to the menu Settings> Notifications for iOS, select the icon WhatsApp from the latter and move the lever relative to the option to OFF Consenti notified.
Now let's see how to set up WhatsApp in order to protect our privacy as much as possible. There are several parameters on which we can act.
Disable the blue ticks
Let's start with the infamous blue ticks, the symbol that allows our interlocutors to understand when we have read their messages.
If you want to prevent its appearance, go to the menu (…)> Settings of WhatsApp, select the items Account> Privacy from the screen that opens and deactivates the option Read confirmations.
The change will take effect immediately but, beware, only in individual conversations, not in groups. It also has a reciprocal effect, so even you won't be able to see the blue ticks when your interlocutors read the messages you send them.
Disable the display of the last login
Another function that is considered "annoying" by many WhatsApp users is the one that shows the date of the last access to the application.
If you are also among them and want to deactivate it, go to the menu (…)> Settings of WhatsApp, select the items Account> Privacy> Last Accessed from the screen that opens and put the check mark next to the item Nobody.
This function also provides a reciprocal relationship, so if you disable it you will not be able to see the date of your friends' last access to WhatsApp. For more details about it, see my guide on how to remove the last access on WhatsApp.
I will block a contatto
Is there a person who is bothering you on WhatsApp? No problem, you can block her and prevent her from sending you new messages (and seeing when you are online).
To block a person on WhatsApp, go to the menu (…)> Settings application, select the items Account> Privacy from the screen that opens and "tap" on the option Contacts blocked. Then press the icon oflittle man or on the button Add present in the screen that opens and select the name of the person to block.
In case of second thoughts, to unblock a person previously blocked on WhatsApp, go back to the menu Settings> Accounts> Privacy> Blocked contacts, select the name of the user in question and press the button Unlock. Facile, see?
If you need more details on this procedure, see my previous tutorial on how to block a person on WhatsApp in which I have dealt with the subject in more depth.
Edit your profile
Do you want to change the name or the photo of your profile on WhatsApp? No problem, you can do that too, and there is no need to create a new account.
If you use a smartphone Android, all you have to do is go to the menu (…)> Settings of WhatsApp, select the items Account> Profile from the screen that opens and edit photo and name according to your preferences.
If you use a iPhoneinstead, you have to go to the card Settings of the application, press on the photo currently used on your profile and modify it (together with the name) using the special functions available on the screen that opens. If any step of the procedure is not clear to you, consult my guide on how to change photos on WhatsApp, there you will find everything explained in great detail.
Hide profile picture and status
If you want to protect privacy as much as possible, you can make sure that your profile picture and your status message are displayed only by your contacts.
To adjust these settings, go to the menu menu (…)> Settings of WhatsApp, select the items Account> Privacy from the screen that opens and set to My contacts options related to Profile picture e State.
Over time, WhatsApp conversations inevitably begin to accumulate and therefore we must learn to manage them better.
Archive or delete chats
If you want to "free" the WhatsApp home screen from chats that no longer interest you, you can choose to archive or delete them.
Archiving a chat means hiding it from the WhatsApp home screen while retaining the ability to restore or view it at any time; By deleting a chat, however, you will completely lose the ability to restore it.
To archive a conversation in WhatsApp for Android, select the scheda Chat application, hold your finger on the title of the conversation you want to hide and select the entry Archive chat from the menu that appears. To perform the same operation on iPhone, select the scheda Chat of WhatsApp and swipe your finger from right to left on the title of the chat to be archived. That's all!
For more information on the whole procedure - and to find out how to restore chats previously archived in WhatsApp - see my tutorial on how to archive WhatsApp conversations.
Don't want to archive a chat, but delete it permanently? In this case, if you use a terminal Android, select the scheda Chat of WhatsApp, hold your finger on the title of the conversation you want to delete and select the entry Delete chat give the menu to compare. A iPhone, select the tab instead Chat of the application, swipe your finger from right to left on the title of the chat to be deleted, press the button Other… and select the item Delete chat give the menu to compare.
Chat backup and restore
Now let's move on to one of the most important functions of WhatsApp, the one that allows you to keep a backup copy of your messages and restore them if necessary (on the smartphone currently in use or on another device).
Conversations are backed up automatically every day (default), every week, or every month and is done to the cloud. This means that all messages are saved on the Internet and are automatically restored as soon as you install (or reinstall) WhatsApp on a phone associated with your phone number and your online account, on Google or iCloud. The only exception is represented by Windows Phone, where unfortunately the messages are saved locally and it is possible to transfer them from one phone to another only via microSD.
To adjust the frequency of WhatsApp backups, go to the menu (…)> Settings application and select the items Chat> chat backup from the screen that opens. More details can be found in my tutorial on how to recover WhatsApp backups.
Reduce data consumption
If you use WhatsApp mainly via the 3G / LTE network and want to limit the application's data consumption to a minimum, follow the instructions below.
- A terminal was used Android, go to the menu (…)> Settings> Chat and calls of WhatsApp, put the mark next to the option Reduced data consumption (to limit the data consumption by calls) and select the entry Automatic download to choose which content (images, audio and video) to download under the mobile network and which under the Wi-Fi network. I advise you to leave active only the automatic download of images under the mobile network (they are the ones that consume less traffic).
- If you use a iPhone, go to the card Settings of WhatsApp, select the item Data Usage from the menu that opens and move the lever relative to the option to ON Reduced data consumption. To choose which content to download under data network and which under Wi-Fi, use the settings Images, Audio e Video found at the top of the menu.
Note: After activating the function to reduce data consumption, the quality of VoIP calls may become poor.
Would you like some clarification about the WhatsApp subscription, its costs and the possibility of transferring it from one number to another? I'll settle you immediately.
Renew your WhatsApp subscription
If you're wondering when your WhatsApp subscription will expire, the answer is NEVER! In fact, since January 2016, WhatsApp has become free for everyone and the annual fee of 0,89 euros that was previously necessary to renew the subscription is no longer required.
Do you have a new phone number and would like to transfer your WhatsApp account to it? Then go to the menu (…)> Settings application, select the items Account> Change number from the screen that opens and follow the guided procedure that is proposed to you. If some steps are not clear to you, I have also published a tutorial on how to change number on WhatsApp.
Cancel your account
Do you want to permanently close your WhatsApp account without transferring it to another number? You can do this too, just go to the menu (…)> Settings application, select the items Accounts> Delete account from the screen that opens and that's it. For more info about it, see my guide on how to unsubscribe from WhatsApp.
How to set up WhatsApp Web
Web WhatsApp is a tool that allows you to use WhatsApp from your computer. It works via browser (so it does not require the installation of additional programs on the PC) and is very easy to configure. Its only flaw is that it only works if the smartphone on which WhatsApp is installed is turned on and connected to the Internet (via Wi-Fi or data network).
set up WhatsApp on the Web, connected by PC to the address web.whatsapp.com; then go to the menu (…)> Settings> WhatsApp Web of WhatsApp and scan the QR code you see on the computer screen with the smartphone camera. That's all! In a few seconds and you can start sending and reading messages from your PC.
The service is compatible with all major versions of WhatsApp and all major web browsers, except Internet Explorer. To learn more, see my tutorial on how to use WhatsApp Web.