You have heard so much about WhatsApp and you have finally decided to download the application. Your curiosity towards this messaging app is great. Your friends have in fact told you about how they use all the features of this app on a daily basis, using their Android and iOS smartphones. They send text messages, send attachments and even voice messages: all completely free, through the Internet connection of their smartphone.
However, you are still a bit new to technology and send messages to friends and family using traditional SMS. Clearly you always spend a lot of money on phone top-ups and would therefore like to start using this app too to be able to save. There is only one small hitch: you have no idea how to proceed. Sure, you downloaded the app from the Android Play Store or the iOS App Store, but, after the initial setup, you stopped there, as you don't know the features of WhatsApp.
So you would like some advice on how to use the application correctly to get started too send messages via WhatsApp? If the answer is yes, then get ready to read this guide of mine. I will tell you in depth how the application works, in relation to sending messages in different forms.
Don't worry, you will see that it will be child's play. I will explain in detail how to send text messages, voice messages and also how to send messages with attachments, such as photos, videos or documents. You will see that, when you have finished reading, WhatsApp will no longer hide secrets from you and you can too send WhatsApp messages of all kinds. Ready to get started? As usual, I wish you a good read.
How to send WhatsApp (Android / iOS)
How to send text messages
Would you like to make the most of WhatsApp? The first thing you need to learn to do to use this messaging app is to send simple text message, as if they were SMS, through the application. How you do it? To begin with, you need to open the application and access the section Chat; through this section you can read all the conversations with your WhatsApp friends.
The next step is obviously to send a message. I asked you to access the section Chat, because it is a starting screen: you can decide whether to send a message in an existing conversation, or whether to open a new conversation. Specifically, if you want to write a message in a conversation that already exists, all you have to do is tap the chat box related to the person you want to write to.
But let's say the most "difficult" case, which is that you have to send a text message on WhatsApp to a person with whom you have never had a conversation. Doing so is very simple: you just need to press the button that will allow you to write a new message. That button, which has the symbol of a comic, is located at the bottom right on Android smartphones, while it is located at the top right on iOS, with a symbol of a sheet with a pencil. At this point, in the integrated search engine of WhatsApp, you can now type the name of the person to whom you want to send the message.
Alternatively, you can directly press on one of the names indicated to you, which refers to the list of people in the phone book or those contacted frequently. Have you chosen the recipient of your message? Very well! Now simply type the text of the message you want to write, like when writing traditional SMS. When you have finished. you just have to press the send button which, on WhatsApp, has the shape of a paper airplane. Done? Congratulations! You have sent your first text message on WhatsApp.
How to send voice messages
As I told you in the introduction, one of the other supported and used features of WhatsApp is the possibility of send voice messages to contacts or groups. This is a very interesting feature. Personally I use it if, for example, I have to write a long message but I don't have time to type it or even to make a phone call. Sending a voice message on WhatsApp is less immediate than sending a text message but don't worry; in the following lines I will explain in detail how to do it, using an Android or iOS smartphone.
As usual, the first thing to do is to open an existing conversation or create a new one. Any type of message you want to send must clearly have a recipient. After that, to send a voice message, you just have to press and hold microphone icon. Speak normally while recording your voice message; your intended recipient will certainly not be surprised when a recorded message is received. The voice message will automatically be sent to the recipient as soon as you release your finger from the key with the microphone icon. If you made a mistake while recording a voice message, you can choose to cancel it with one swipe to the left. In this way the registration will be canceled and the message will not be sent.
How to quote, mention and forward messages
Among the features of the WhatsApp messaging application there is also the possibility of to mention one person in a group, I will quote the text sent in a conversation e forward a message. In the following lines, I will explain in detail how these tools are used.
- Quote the text of a message: To quote a message, press and hold on the message and press the voice Reply at the small pop-up that will open on the screen (on iOS). Are you using an Android device? Press the arrow symbol pointing left among the items that appear in the top menu. Type your reply message in the text field and press the airplane button on the right to send.
- Mention a person in a group: to mention a person in a group, type @in the text field where you usually write your messages and type the person's name you wish to mention. You can also choose it directly from the small list of names that will open on the screen. Then type your message in the text field as you usually do. When you are done, press the button of the airplane on the right to send.
- Forward a message: To forward a message, press and hold on the relevant message and press the item Submit located next to the small pop-up that will open on the screen. Now press on arrow located at the bottom left (on an iOS smartphone) or at the top right (on an Android smartphone), select the contact or group to forward the message to and press on Submit to forward a message.
How to send attachments
The last WhatsApp function I want to talk to you about is sending text messages with attachments (photos, videos, documents, etc.). Below I will explain in detail how you will need to do it.
First of all access the usual starting screen called Chat; as always, choose whether to send the message with attachments in an existing conversation or in a new conversation. At this point the procedure will be different depending on whether you are using an Android or iOS smartphone.
- IOS smartphone: press the pulsating (+) which is located at the bottom left. At this point you have more options for sending attachments. You will be able to choose whether to send photos and videos from your device library (button photo and video library), take a photo or record a video of the moment (button camera), send a document (document), send a GIF (button with the magnifying glass and the inscription GIF in the section photo and video library), submit yours position or contact . Choose the option you prefer, when you are done you just have to press the button of theairplane, located at the bottom right, to send the message with attachment.
- Android smartphone: press the icon clip located at the bottom right. At this point you are presented with all the options for sending attachments. You will be able to choose whether to send photos and videos from your device library (gallery), take a photo or record a video on the spot (camera), send a document, send yours position, un audio or contact. Choose what you prefer and when you are done, press the button of theairplane, located at the bottom right, to send the message with attachment.
Keep in mind that, on both devices, in the case of sending and receiving multiple multimedia elements, these will be grouped in a gallery; to view all the items in the gallery, click on the button capacitor positive (+) lead followed by the photo number.
How to send WhatsApp (Mac / Windows / via Web)
How to send text messages
Now that you have learned all the features of WhatsApp dedicated to its use on an Android or iOS smartphone, let's move on. It is right that you know how you can do it in an equally simple way, using the application for Windows or Mac. Alternatively, you can send text messages, audio messages and attachments, directly through WhatsApp Web, the official service that allows you to use WhatsApp on the your PC, thanks to a web browser.
If you want to use WhatsApp Web and need further explanations on the functioning of the service, you can deepen in all calm, reading my guide dedicated to the subject; I'll tell you in detail about how to use WhatsApp Web.
If you need the links to download the WhatsApp client on PC or Mac, follow the links that I indicate below.
- WhatsApp - Download from the official site for PC
- WhatsApp - Download from the official site for Mac
At this point, what you need to do to send a text message is very similar in all three cases (PC / Mac / WhatsApp Web). Once you have installed the WhatsApp client for PC / Mac or logged into your WhatsApp account, via WhatsApp Web, the procedure is explained below.
When you start the service on PC / Mac or via the Web, you will already find yourself in the section dedicated to existing conversations, consequently you just need to click on a conversation already started, to be able to write and send a new message. Then type the message you want to send and press the key directly Submit on the keyboard.
Do you want to open a new conversation? Using WhatsApp for PC / Mac or via the Web, just press the + button (on WhatsApp for computer) or the button New Chat with the speech bubble icon (on WhatsApp Web). You can choose the contact to send the message to from the list of people in the address book or from those contacted frequently.
Now type the text in the text field below and send it by pressing the button Submit directly from your computer keyboard.
How to send voice messages
Sending WhatsApp voice messages is also supported through the application for Windows PC and Mac and even using WhatsApp Web. I'll explain how to do it in the following lines.
Of course, the first thing you need to do is open an existing conversation or create a new one. Done? Perfect. At this point, press themicrophone icon. Both the WhatsApp desktop application and WhatsApp Web will ask you to access your computer's microphone. Push the button Allow to accept. Now you can safely record your voice message. When you're done, hit the button Green V to send the message, or that of the Red X to cancel it. Even easier than on a smartphone, don't you think?
How to quote, mention and forward messages
I want to explain step by step the procedure you need to do to quote, mention or forward a message, using WhatsApp for Mac, Windows or the Web application.
- Quote the text of a message: to quote a message, click the arrow at the bottom of the message and press the item Reply located in the small pop-up that will open on the screen. Type your reply message in the text field as you usually do and press Submit on your keyboard to send the message.
- Mention a person in a group: to mention a person in a group, type @ in the text field where you usually write your messages and also type the person's name you wish to mention. You can also choose it directly from the small list of names that will open on the screen. Then type your message in the text field and press Submit on your keyboard to send the message.
- Forward a message: to forward a message, click on arrow at the bottom of the message and press the item Forward message on the small pop-up that will open on the screen. Now press on arrow located at the bottom right, select the contact or group to forward the message to and press again right arrow to forward the message.
How to send attachments
Finally, I would like to point out the procedure you need to do if you want to send a message with an attachment, using the WhatsApp application for Windows / Mac (but also through WhatsApp Web).
In any conversation, press thepaperclip icon located at the top right. At this point a small menu will open that will allow you to send photos and videos from your PC / Mac library, take a photo or record a video on the spot, send a document or a contact. Choose the option you prefer, when you are done you just have to press the button Submit on the keyboard.